Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Future site of .......

...... the Green Potter's Shed. Once I get the left over kennel wire stashed away for the turkey yard (shhhh!) ... ahem ..... the plans are to make, from scratch, a small green-house attached to the hen-house on the 12' x 6' cement slab, same size as my hen house. It would make a wonderful green-house, don't you think??
I intend to use it to to 'winter-garden' lettuce and other salad things. (I get sick easily on the store stuff with all the chemicals ) and to start herbs in the late winter that I can sell in the spring time. It will be a hoop type structure using flexible pvc and heavy plastic. I plan on at least one roof vent, and a door at the 6' end. I figure it will have about 72' of usable shelf space with a 3' isle, and room underneath the bottom shelf for potting soil and such.
Now I want to ask, if any of you have ever made your own green-house, and can you give me some pointers? I would appreciate all the helpful suggestions you would care to send my way.

5 comments:

Country Chick said...

We made that exact kind of greenhouse and it worked great! We grew lettuce and spinach and raddish and carrots and they all did great! It does pay to use very good plastic if you don't want it to rip easily, but you can always replace it the next year. I may have my husband make me one again. We moved and have more room now. The cement floor will be great!
Janine

Rose said...

Can't wait to see finished pics of the done deal! You go girl!

Penny said...

Neat idea and since you already have some of the components it will not be too expensive.Can't wait to see how yours turns out. I haven't got one yet but it's on my list!

Lily said...

NICE TO SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING!
YOU KNOW WE HAVE ONCE MADE A REAL HOUSE OUT OF A HEN HOUSE?!

Sunny said...

Gee, Sarah, now THAT would be interesting! We have torn down 2 houses and built a barn and a chicken coop (years ago)