I don't know about you, but around here the busy summer time means sandwiches appear on the menu more than at any other time of year. Sometimes my hubby has to jump on the tractor first thing in the morning, especially at haying time; no time for a sit-down breakfast, and later I run a sandwich out to him at noon. Here are some of our favorites combinations .....
1.Peanut butter, honey and raisins on cinnamon-raisin bread (mine)
2. Ham, bacon, or sausage and egg scramble, topped with shredded cheese in a skillet-heated tortilla wrap (his)
3.Fried egg and sausage patty or bacon, cheese slice and mayo on w/w toast (his)
Lunch on the run
1. Tuna salad with chopped celery and onions on w/w bread or wrapped in a tortilla shell with lettuce
2. Tomato and onion slices (thick sliced) with mayo on w/w or oatmeal bread
3. Swiss cheese and dill pickle stackers, mustard and mayo on multi-grain bread
Now for the meat lovers .....
4. Cold left-over roast rabbit or chicken, lettuce, cheese (any kind), tomato, onion, mayo and mustard on whole wheat or oatmeal bread (any choices of the above)
5. Sloppy-joe (with home-grown beef burger and home-made sauce) and cheese on whole-wheat buns, add pickle if you like
6. Shredded home-canned venison in bbq sauce, cheese and pickle in buns
To any of these meat sandwiches, a layer of potato chips under the top "lid" of the sandwich gives an extra interesting crunch, for those that eat them. And thats about as far as my time and imagination will take me.
Do you have favorites that you would like to share?