Monday, September 21, 2009

My Mom's Chunky Applesauce


My mom always made chunky applesauce when she had the time. It is simple to make, just more time consuming. but that is the way we like it best. I was fortunate to get some apples this year that were pretty good and I decided it was worth the extra effort.


I cored and peeled, and cored and peeled, instead of running through a food mill. When I got a kettle full of apple chunks I put them on to cook over a med-low fire with about a half-cup of water in the bottom. I let them cook down and then mashed them into smaller chunks with a hand potato masher. I do not add any sugar or cinnamon until the jar is opened to be used. That way if a lid happens to come unsealed without your knowledge, you only lose the apples. Besides, most of the applesauce I've canned actually needs no sugar.



As the sauce and jars were hot , I just filled the jars and placed each one in a boiling water bath as it was readied. I processed 30 min for pints.


I made 20 pts this way . This chunky applesauce is good just as is. But, also a good alternative topping for pancakes or waffles. Nothing like having your own home-processed food the way you prefer!

No comments: